Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wheatster

Today I'm trying to brew a batch of hefewizen. It'll be the most wheat I've ever used: 5# wheat with 5# 2-row. I've had some problems with different grains clogging my sparge-tun, which has holes that are 1/16". So we'll see how this one goes. Most of the flavor will be from the yeast. I've got a hefewizen ale yeast, which is said to impart a banana-clove like flavor. There was an American version that plays down these flavors, but why would I want to do a thing like that? The other flavor component, the hops, are minimal with just an ounce of halertau, which is only like a 4.5% AA hop. So this should be an interesting beer.

1 comment:

  1. Found you blog by chance. I created mine several months ago boisebrewblog.com totally did not know yours was here.
    Anyway, hope to see some more posts.
    -Ken
    @mcfly6667

    ReplyDelete