Monday, March 15, 2010

Extra special bastard

Today I'm brewing my last entry in the hausbrau battle. It's an ESB that's being a bastard. It's pretty simple mostly 2 row and crystal, but the kicker (I think) is the torrified wheat. During my sparge, it just stopped about half way throug
h. A stuck sparge. Like a duck in the muck. So I ended up pouring it through a colander. I don't know if this will really f up everything or not. It's weird; first you have the mash (where you hold grain and water at a temp for a time) and then the sparge (where you rinse said grain with hot water) both of which take sugars from the grain and put them into the water. I wonder how much you get from either and if a half sparge is enough to produce a decent beer or if this batch is going to taste like shit.




No comments:

Post a Comment